Thursday, September 19, 2013

Blog Weekly Post 5

I finally feel like my students are getting into their routine of how our daily schedule works. Most of the students are transitioning very well from one activity to another. One of my biggest pet peeves that I have noticed with my students is they cannot keep their hands to themselves. It is so very distracting for me and the other students. The majority of my students have trouble with the concept of keeping their hands to themselves. I know that this is a very normal concern in Kindergarten or younger students. I want to start looking for different ways to try to keep my students hands to themselves. It is just a constant distraction to the class and the others. One thing I noticed this week is that I tend to think that my students that are quieter do not understand information or that there academic qualities lack. I was surprised today when my teacher showed me assessments that she had been working with individual students. One of our quieter students scored fairly well and I was very surprised. This student tends to keep to herself and not answer questions even when prompted and asked. I think I thought because this student did not answer questions aloud to me that she did not know the answer. This makes me think about my instruction or individual assessment with this student. I tend to make mental assessments on my students when I talk to them or hear them talking to their classmates about their class work. I feel like I do not have a great grasp on this student’s capability because I never hear her talking aloud. I want to spend more time with this student to learn more about her and the ways that she learns. I also want to find a way to assess her in a way that she is comfortable. I believe that one way could be not having her answer questions in whole group instruction. I think that I could have her give me an answer by writing or drawing the answer if she doesn’t want to speak. Another part of me thinks that she needs to learn to speak in front of her classmates so that she will get comfortable.

1 comment:

  1. Try to really work on some strategies with her. Have her get to answer with a partner, or call on her to whisper the right answer to someone who doesn't know it. Look up some info on using non-verbal ways to answer--kids can use their thumbs or however to respond that they know the answer or aren't sure. It's a "trendy" topic--I've watched some videos on Teaching Channel about it.

    ReplyDelete